When our Meter Reader is confronted with any of the following situation, he may choose to issue an Estimate Bill:
- Locked gate with meter inside the premises
- Meter blocked by an object
- Fierce animal in the vicinity
- Unforeseen disasters such as a flood hindering access to premises
However, necessary adjustments will be made on estimated bill(s) and these adjustments will be reflected on the next bill with actual meter reading.
How Estimate Bill Is Determined
In our Billing System, we continuously calculate and store average consumption per month in kWh. The average consumption per month is determined based on last six (6) months actual consumptions. The average consumption is then used to generate Estimate bill. However, if the Estimate bill happens to be longer than a usual 30 day billing cycle, the average kWh will be adjusted accordingly before applying the relevant tariff and calculating current month usage in RM.
How Do I Know This Is An Estimate Bill?
The characteristic of an Estimate Bill:
Reading Type (Jenis Bacaan)
- For an Estimate Bill the Reading Type will be Estimated Reading (Bacaan Anggaran)
- The reason for estimation, in this example, Gate Locked (Pintu Pagar Kunci)
Billing Period (Tempoh Bil)
- The billing duration and number of days
- Estimated consumption in kWh
Current Meter Reading (Bacaan Meter Semasa)
- No reading will be displayed as the meter was not read
How The Estimate Bill Is Calculated?
In this sample, the customer is billed for
- an estimated consumption of 1,082kWh
- a billing period of 38 days
As the billing period is more than 31 days of normal billing cycle, prorate method is used to allocate units for each tariff block as below:
|Billing Period:||20.06.2016 - 27.07.2016 (38 Days)|
|Unit (kWh) Estimated:||1082 kWh|
|Prorate Factor:||38 Day / 30 Day = 1.26667|
Block tariff Calculation based on Prorate Factor:
|Block Tariff (per month)||Unit (kWh) allocated based on Prorate Factor||Rate (RM)||Amount (RM)|
|200||200 x 1.26667 = 253||0.218||55.15|
|100||100 x 1.26667 = 127||0.334||42.42|
|300||300 x 1.26667 = 380||0.516||196.08|
|300||1082 - 253 - 127 - 380 = 322||0.546||175.81|
Charges for other dependent billing components are calculated based on these estimated units of 1,082 or the amount value of it, RM469.46.
How The Estimated kWh Consumption Is Derived?
The last 6 months kWh consumption trend of this customer is below:
|Billing Period||No. of Days||Consumption (kWh)|
|17 Dec 2015||16 Jan 2016||30||616|
|16 Jan 2016||17 Feb 2016||32||943|
|17 Feb 2016||21 Mar 2016||33||1031|
|21 Mar 2016||20 Apr 2016||30||851|
|20 Apr 2016||20 May 2016||30||982|
|20 May 2016||20 Jun 2016||31||875|
|Average Consumption (kWh) for 30 Days||854.52|
The electricity usage over the last 6 months (186 days) is 5,298kWh. Hence, the average consumption for 30 day is 854.52kWh (5298/186 x 30).
The 30 day average of 854.52kWh is used in deciding the estimated consumption as below:
- The estimated bill is for a period of 38 days
- Hence, the estimated consumption is = 38/30 * 854.52 =1,082 (rounded to nearest integer)