The government has passed the Electricity Supply Act whereby TNB is allowed to collect a deposit of two (2) months of the customer’s electricity usage. This amount is calculated based on an average of six (6) months
Deposit Amount for New Accounts
The deposit amounts vary based on the number of electrical installations in the home and the two (2) month
|No||Type of Premises||Deposit Amount (RM) based on Voltage Level|
|230V (Single Phase)||400V (Three Phase)|
|1||Kampung House / Kampung Townhouse||170.00||400.00|
|6||Low Cost Apartment||250.00||400.00|
|7||Medium Cost Apartment|
|8||Link House (1 Storey)|
|9||Link House (> 1 Storey)||500.00||700.00|
|10||Apartment / Condominium (<= 3 Rooms)|
|11||Townhouse (> 1 Storey)|
|12||Semi-D (Including cluster - 1 Storey)|
|14||Apartment / Condominium (> 3 Rooms)||700||1,200.00|
|15||Semi-D (Including cluster > 1 Storey)|
|16||Luxury Link House (> 1 Storey)|
|17||Luxury Apartment / Condominium|
|18||Bungalow (1 Storey)|
|19||Bungalow (> 1 Storey)||900||1,600.00|
- For deposits less than RM2,000.00, you are required to pay in cash.
- For deposits more than RM2,000.00, a bank guarantee is preferred.
Reduction in Deposit Amount
If the average of two (2) months bill is less than the amount of deposit paid, TNB will refund the excess deposit upon customer’s request. For example:
|Average Monthly Bill||RM100.00|
|Average of two (2) months electricity used||RM200.00|
|Amount credited to account (RM300–RM200)||RM100.00|
Increase in Deposit Amount
- If the average of two (2) months average is more than the amount of deposit paid, customers are required to pay the additional deposit.
- Customers will be given a grace period to pay the additional deposit.
- Payment can be made at TNB’s Pusat Khidmat Pelanggan or any of the one-stop collection agencies, e.g. Pos Malaysia.
|Average Monthly Bill||RM150.00|
|Average of two (2) months electricity used||RM300.00|
|Additional Deposit (RM300–RM200)||RM100.00|
Security Deposit Refund
- The security deposit will be refunded if the customer terminates or transfers the account.
- The customer can apply for closure of account by filling up an application form at Kedai Tenaga nearby or via online at www.mytnb.com.my at Self Service Portal (SSP)
- TNB will reimburse the security deposit by crediting to your bank account, by cheque (posted) or transfer to customer’s other active TNB Electricity Account after deducting any outstanding amounts (if any).
Interest on Security Deposit Paid
Commencing January 1, 2017, the annual cash deposit rebates for all TNB's customers will be implemented by cumulating the amount of the deposit rebates (2.5% per annum of the cash deposit amount).
This year's implementation practice is different compared to the previous years, which will see the rebate amount credited into the users' existing security deposit in the month of January every year.
Total Cash Security Deposit as of 31 December 2016: RM1, 000
Annual Rebates Received: RM1,000 X 2.5% = RM25.00
New Total Security Deposit as at 1st January 2017 :RM1,000 + RM25.00 = RM1,025