The government has passed the Electricity Supply Act whereby TNB is allowed to collect a deposit of two (2) months of the customer’s electricity usage. This amount is calculated based on an average of six (6) months
- Deposit amount for new accounts
- Payment method
- Reduction in deposit amount
- Increase in deposit amount
- Deposit refund
- Interest on deposit paid
The deposit amounts vary based on the number of electrical installations in the home and the two (2) month
ONE PHASE SUPPLY (230 V)
|No||Business Code||Type of Premises||Initial Deposit (RM)|
|5||63234||Low Cost Apartment / Low Cost Terrace House (<= 3 Rooms)||250|
|6||63235||Low Cost Apartment (> 3 Rooms)|
|7||63231||Medium Cost Apartment|
|8||63221||Terrace House (1 Storey)|
|9||63222||Terrace House (> 1 Storey)||500|
|10||63236||Apartment / Condominium (<= 3 Rooms)|
|11||63225||Town House (> 1 Storey)|
|12||63211||Semi-D (1 Storey)|
|14||63237||Apartment / Condominium (> 3 Rooms)||700|
|15||63212||Semi-D (> 1 Storey)|
|16||63224||Luxury Terrace House (> 1 Storey)|
|17||63238||Luxury Apartment / Condominium|
|18||63251||Bungalow (1 Storey)|
|19||63252||Bungalow (> 1 Storey)||900|
THREE PHASE SUPPLY (400 V)
|NO,||Business Code||Type of Premises||Initial Deposit (RM)|
|1||63231||Medium Cost Apartment||400|
|2||63221||Terrace House (1 Storey)|
|3||63222||Terrace House (> 1 Storey)||700|
|4||63236||Apartment / Condominium (<= 3 Rooms)|
|5||63225||Town House (> 1 Storey)|
|6||63211||Semi-D (1 Storey)|
|8||63237||Apartment / Condominium (> 3 Rooms)||1200|
|9||63212||Semi-D (> 1 Storey)|
|10||63224||Luxury Terrace House (> 1 Storey)|
|11||63238||Luxury Apartment / Condominium|
|12||63251||Bungalow (1 Storey)|
|13||63252||Bungalow (> 1 Storey)||1600|
- For deposits less than RM2,000.00, you are required to pay in cash.
- For deposits more than RM2,000.00, a bank guarantee is preferred.
If the average of two (2) months bill is less than the amount of deposit paid, TNB will refund the excess deposit upon customer’s request. For example:
|Average Monthly Bill||RM100.00|
|Average of two (2) months electricity used||RM200.00|
|Amount credited to account (RM300–RM200)||RM100.00|
- If the average of two (2) months average is more than the amount of deposit paid, customers are required to pay the additional deposit.
- Customers will be given a grace period to pay the additional deposit.
- Payment can be made at TNB’s Pusat Khidmat Pelanggan or any of the one-stop collection agencies, e.g. Pos Malaysia.
|Average Monthly Bill||RM150.00|
|Average of two (2) months electricity used||RM300.00|
|Additional Deposit (RM300–RM200)||RM100.00|
- The deposit will be refunded if the customer terminates or transfers the account.
- The customer must go to Pusat Khidmat Pelanggan as stated in the bill and bring along the original receipt of the deposit.
- If the original receipt is lost or misplaced, the customer is required to fill in the Lost Deposit Receipt Declaration Form.
- TNB will reimburse the deposit in cash (if amount is less than RM400) or by cheque (if amount is more than RM400) after deducting any outstanding amounts (if any).
TNB will give a 2.5% rebate on the deposit paid by the customer which will be credited yearly into the customer’s January bill.
Deposit payment is exempted for:-
- Government accounts
- Foreign Ambassador Office
- TNB staff [limited to one (1) premise only]
The above parties are exempted from payment of stamp duty except TNB Staff