Energy Efficiency Tips
Energy Efficiency Label
More Stars. More Saving.
Energy efficiency label was introduced in 2006. Energy efficiency label provides information to consumers about the energy consumption of an electrical appliance. Energy rating label shows the estimated energy consumption of each electrical equipment based on energy efficiency rating system. The star rating system has a minimum of 1 star and a maximum of 5 stars, where 1-star label is the least efficient and 5 stars is the most efficient.
Energy efficiency label is issued by the Energy Commission to manufacturers of electrical appliances who comply with the standards and requirements of energy performance test for star rating established by the Energy Commission.
Source: Suruhanjaya Tenaga
This label contains the estimated total annual energy consumption in kilowatt-hours of electricity by each device, based on recognized laboratory test results. The information provided will help the user to choose the most energy-efficient models when purchasing appliances
Energy Efficient Products Approved by Energy Commission
Electrical appliance approved by Energy Commission for Energy Star ratings are :
- Domestic Refrigerators.
- Domestic Fans.
- Air Conditioners (Single Split Wall Mounted Type).
Use of 5-Star appliances will reduce electricity consumption and electricity bills at home. This will in turn produce disposable household income or household disposable income is higher, especially in the long run that will improve the quality of life.
- Better savings in the long run.
- Reducing carbon footprint from electricity generation.
- Improved quality of life with more efficient appliances.
- Suruhanjaya Tenaga
- Centre For Education, Training, and Research in Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency and Green Technology (CETREE)
Usage Cost of Electrical Appliances at Home
Usage Cost of Electrical Appliances at Home
The electricity consumption cost per household depends on family size, living habits, number and age of electrical appliances and hours of usage. Customers can calculate the estimated electricity cost for different appliances using the following:
- Power rating of the electrical appliance and its efficiency
- Number of hours used
- The domestic tariff rate per kilowatt - hour (kWh)
Electricity Consumption (kWh) = Power (watts) x Hours of Operation x 30 days ÷ 1000. The electricity bill calculation is based on the current domestic tariff rate. Electricity consumption usually increases due to the following reasons:
- Additional electrical appliances as family members grow
- Electrical loading or size of the appliances
- Modern lifestyles tend to use more electrical appliances
- Longer usage of appliances
- Appliances that can be adjusted at to maximum capacity e.g. air condition, fan, water heater, etc, result in high load factor.
- Replacement of smaller appliances to bigger capacity
- Faulty appliances can lead to inefficiencies in the way they run e.g. refrigerator with faulty thermostat, shortage of refrigerant, or defective door gasket.
There are many ways to improve the efficiency of electricity used in your home. Wise and efficient use of electricity can save money and assist in protecting the environment. Monitoring your consumption can help you identify where energy can be used more efficiently.
|PETI SEJUK / REFRIGERATOR Watt/Watt: 1200 watt Diguna/Usage: 24 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: RM 8.20 sehari/per day|
|TELEVISYEN / TELEVISION Watt/Watt: 150 watt Diguna/Usage: 5 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 4.27 sen sejam/per hr|
|PENGHAWA DINGIN / AIR CONDITIONER Watt/Watt: 750 watt Diguna/Usage: 7 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 21.35 sen sejam/per hr|
|SETERIKA / IRON Watt/Watt: 1000 watt Diguna/Usage: 5 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 28.47 sen sejam/per hr|
|PERIUK NASI / RICE COOKER Watt/Watt: 730 watt Diguna/Usage: 0.75 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 20.78 sen sejam/per hr|
|CEREK / KETTLE Watt/Watt: 850 watt Diguna/Usage: 0.5 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 24.20 sen sejam/per hr|
|MESIN BASUH / WASHING MACHINE Watt/Watt: 850 watt Diguna/Usage: 0.5 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 24.20 sen sejam/per hr|
|KIPAS TEGAK / STANDING FAN Watt/Watt: 75 watt Diguna/Usage: 7 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 2.14 sen sejam/per hr|
|LAMPU / LIGHTING Watt/Watt: 36 watt Diguna/Usage: 5 jam sehari/hr per day Kos Operasi/Operation Cost: 1.02 sen sejam/per hr|
Nota: Berdasarkan kegunaan purata 28.47 sen/kWj
Note: Based on an average usage at 28.47 sen/kWhX